I recently installed the Teraflex Disc Brake Conversion onto a 1997 XJ with the Chrysler 8.25 rear axle. I don’t have extensive photos of this, but thought I’d pass along the same notes that I gave to Teraflex.

Installation Notes

  • The instructions are written for a professional mechanic.
  • Step 19 casually mentions “You will need to purchase shorter metal lines from an auto parts supplier.” In my case I completed replaced the left hard line and was able to shorten and double flare the original right hard line. The instruction step really minimizes that the step is basically “Replace your brake lines”
  • I absolutely had to replace my wheel studs with longer wheel studs. The new brake rotor is a bit thicker than the original drum, and this limited the thread engagement with the lug nuts. Luckily I test fit this before reinstalling the axle shafts. The wheel stud part number is NAPA Belkamp #6413204.
  • I had to replace my axle flange bolts as well. The instructions don’t indicate this, and in fact prompt you to re-use the factory bolts. In my case they simply weren’t long enough to engage nuts on the front of the new backing plate. I used 1.5 inch 3/16-24 thread grade 8 bolts in place of the factory axle flange studs with the head of the bolt on the flange side.
  • The instructions for the 8.25 indicate that you should not replace the wheel bearings. I don’t see any reason not to spend the extra $40 while you’ve got everything open. I replaced them. I was surprised that NAPA spec’d a non-flange bearing seal (16404) instead of a flanged seal, but it installed well and has not leaked.
  • The kit is advertised as “bolt-on” but step 18 includes welding the new soft brake line tabs to the axle. The instructions don’t specify a brake line routing, and I’ve decided to run mine directly trailing the axle. I’m still experimenting with locations, and so my tabs are held with strap clamps until I finalize that location.
  • The emergency brake cables are purchased separately and you can choose the best routing for you.

Other Resources

I found the photos from fourwheeler.com to be very helpful. In particular, they have some photos of the soft line routing that were very helpful.

I used O’Reilly Auto Parts Loaner Tool Program for a bearing puller for my rear bearings.


I’ve only got about 100 miles on these new brakes following a typical break in procedure. They feel good and stop with progressive pedal feel and predictable control. The kit does not require a proportioning valve change, and I’ve not noticed any bias problems. I will know more after I get to do some low traction braking in snow or gravel. I have not done any high speed panic stops yet. Overall, I’m pleased with the conversion. I can’t say that I have significantly improved braking, but I’m certain I have simplified maintenance.